One of the great things about living in New York City is that there’s always something to do. I’ve been thinking about how much there is to see versus how much I’ve actually seen. Life is busy, I guess, and I just don’t get around to going out and doing the things I keep planning to do.
I’m reminded of the time I spent living on Fort Bliss in Texas. Fort Bliss is adjacent to the city of El Paso, which sits on the border of Mexico. When I went to the mall there, I could look across the valley and Rio Grande River and see Ciudad Juarez. Every weekend, I told myself that I would go there one weekend, but just not that weekend. A few hours drive away from El Paso is Carlsbad Cavern in Carlsbad Caverns National Park, New Mexico. Again, I kept telling myself I would go there one weekend, but I never did. One weekend, I realized that I had to pack because a week and a half later I was moving. My duty assignment at Fort Bliss had finished and I had declined reenlistment.
I never made it to Ciudad Juarez. I never visited Mexico. I never explored Carlsbad Cavern. I think about that pretty frequently and one day I’m going to travel back to that area to see what I missed the first time around. I’m not sure when that will happen. Who knows? Maybe it won’t happen.
If I ever move out of New York City, I want to do it knowing that I took advantage of the time I lived here. I don’t want to repeat the mistake I made in El Paso. There are dozens of museums in New York City, so I’m going to start there. I’m going to make it a point to visit one museum or special exhibit in a museum at least once per month. I’ll keep a list of the places I’ve visited here.
The list will be updated with hyperlinks as I post about the trips.
- The Cloisters – January 23, 2017
- The Museum of the City of New York – February 7, 2017
- The New York Transit Museum – February 28, 2017
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Arms and Armor from the Islamic World – March 7, 2017
- Celebrating the Year of the Rooster – March 7, 2017
- New York Historical Society – March 21, 2017
- New York Public Library on 5th Avenue: The ABC of it, why children’s books matter – July 6, 2013
- Brooklyn Museum – September 29, 2013
- Brooklyn Botanic Gardens – September 29, 2013
- The Jewish Museum – March 4, 2014
- The Israel Museum in Jerusalem, Israel – March 30, 2014
- Richmond Town, Staten Island, New York – May 25, 2014
- Merchant’s House Museum – June 2, 2014
- American Folk Art Museum – July 13, 2014
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art – Manus x Machina – July 24, 2016
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art – Jerusalem, 1000 – 1400: Every People Under Heaven – October 12, 2016
- The Jewish Museum – Isaac Mizrahi Fashion Exhibit – August 6, 2016